12 Afghan security forces killed in Kandahar

Filed under: Today in News,World |

27 September 2017(Agencies)

At least a dozen Afghan security forces were killed when a suicide attacker driving an explosives-packed Humvee blew himself up in the southern province of Kandahar.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadly assault on the government and police headquarters in Maroof district that also wounded several others.

“Twelve security forces were killed and four others were wounded,” Kandahar police spokesman Zia Durrani said. Durrani said the Taliban attackers had been “defeated”.

A border police commander in Maroof, which borders Pakistan, gave a slightly higher toll, telling AFP news agency that 14 security personnel had been killed and eight wounded in the attack that happened late Wednesday.

“The intensity of the blast caused damage to the building and led to casualties,” he said. “The clean-up operation is under way in the area.”

Taliban spokesman Qari Yusouf Ahmadi said the Taliban captured Maroof for a few hours and after removing weapons and other items left the district.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *