Fire consumes over 1 lakh books in Kashmir capital Srinagar
Srinagar, Dec 13: A fire that broke out at Mamta Book Depot at Regal Lane Srinagar late Monday night gutted thousands of books.
An electrical short circuit is said to be the reason behind the blaze.
Firefighters rushed to the spot soon after the fire broke out. Two fire engines and several fire-fighters were engaged in bringing the flames under control for 2 hours.
Muhammad Shafi Lala – the owner of the book depot told news agency Kashmir News Trust that the loss is estimated to be about Rs.70 to 80 lakhs.
He said over one lakh textbooks have been consumed by the flames.
Police visited the spot to assess the quantum of loss. [KNT]