Nadal out of US Open, ends season because of injured foot
MADRID: Rafael Nadal joined Roger Federer in sitting out the US Open, citing a chronic foot injury that will force him to miss the rest of the season.
Nadal anounced his decision in a video on social media on Friday, saying the injury to his left foot will keep him from the year’s last major tournament.
“I am very sorry to announce that I wont be able to keep playing tennis during the 2021 season,” Nadal said. “But, as you know, I have been suffering too much with my foot for the last year now and I missed a lot of important events for me.”
Federer, who needs knee surgery, said last weekend he would not play in New York.
Also missing from the field at Flushing Meadows will be reigning champion Dominic Thiem, who said this week he is ending his season after injuring his right wrist in June.
Nadal and Federer share the men’s record of 20 Grand Slam singles titles with Novak Djokovic, who will be trying to not only to move ahead of his rivals but also complete a calendar-year Grand Slam at the US Open.
Nadal and Federer also both sat out the US Open last year Nadal because of the pandemic; Federer because he had two operations on his right knee in 2020.
Speaking in the video, Nadal said the foot pain he has been battling most of his career is too much.
“During the last year I was not able to practice and prepare the way I need to be competitive at the standards I want to be,” he said. “The injury is nothing new. It is the same injury I am having since 2005. In that moment the doctors were very negative about my future career. But, honestly, I was able to have a career I was unable to ever dream about, so I am confident I will recover again.”
Published in Dawn, August 21st, 2021