VoV Web Desk

Kashmir shuts to mourn Manan Wani’s death

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar,: Authorities on Friday imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar while as a complete shutdown was observed across the Valley following the call given by Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik to pay tributes to slain PhD scholar-turned-militant, Dr Manan Wani.
Manan Wani and his associate Ashiq Ahmad of Handwara were killed in an encounter that raged between forces and militants in Shatgund Qalamad area of Handwara in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Thursday.
The district administration Srinagar had imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar today to prevent the protests against the death of Manan Wani here, thus erecting barricades and concertina wires on the roads here to put a halt to the vehicular as well as pedestrians movement.
Witnesses and locals from Old City areas told Kashmir News Service (KNS) that the police and paramilitary troopers were deployed in huge number on the roads since the wee hours of this morning.
According to KNS correspondent, Shameem Bhat restrictions were also imposed across the Kupwara district today especially in Lolab, native town of Manan Wani to thwart any possible protests against his death.
Forces were deployed in strength in Kupwara district throughout the day, he said.
Besides, a complete shutdown was observed across the Valley to mourn the death of Manan Wani.
All the shops business establishments, petrol pumps and other commercial establishments remained closed while as the traffic was also thin on the roads.
Fearing protests by students, the colleges and other educational institutes were also closed by the authorities today in Srinagar, Kupwara and other district today as ‘a precautionary measure’.
Meanwhile, the authorities also disallowed the Friday congregational prayers at the historic Jamia Masjid here in Old City area of Nowhatta here.
Amid restrictions in Srinagar areas, the authorities barred people from offering congregational Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid here.
All the four gates of Jamia Masjid were sealed by the authorities, thus disallowing the Friday congregational prayers at the grand Masjid yet again.
Meanwhile, Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman and Jamia Masjid’s head cleric, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq who continued to remain under house detention went on social networking blog, twitter and said that “repression of Government of India has pushed the youth to armed resistance and a cycle of death and loss.”
“Even as Kashmir shuts to mourn scholar shaheed Mananwani , downtown under strict curfew prayers at Jamia Masjid again barred for the 15 th Friday this year while arbitrary arrests PSAs on activists , suspension of Kashmiri students from universities, repeated closure of colleges and universities to disallow dissent continues unabated. This repression coupled with intransigence of Govt of India pushes young boys to armed resistance and a cycle of death and loss,” Mirwaiz tweeted.
Meanwhile, at least 20 persons sustained injuries during the clashes between youth and forces in Tikipora Lolab area of Kupwara district, KNS correspondent Shameem Bhat reported, saying that clashes erupted in the area after the youth hit the streets today to protest against Manan Wani’s death.
Witnesses said that the forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth started pelting stone to them at Tikipora Lolab, adding that 20 persons also sustained injuries during the clashes.
Meanwhile, funeral prayers in absentia were held for the slain Phd scholar-turned-militant today at Tikipora Lolab and Trehgam Kupwara in which hundreds of people participated.
He also reported that four persons also sustained injuries during the clashes at Lalpora area of Kupwara. The clashes in the area started in this morning during which forces used tar smoke shells, leaving four persons injured, he added.
Clashes also broke out in Anchar area of Soura here after youth hit the streets and pelted stone on the forces, who in retaliation used tear gas canisters to disperse the agitating youth.
Meanwhile, clashes also broke out at Shopian after forces launched cordon-and-search-operation (CASO) in the district.
Reports said a joint team of army’s 34 RR, 23 PARA, SOG of Jammu and Kashmir Police and 14 BN CRPF launched a search operation in Nadigam village.
However, youth took to streets soon after the CASO was launched and clashed with the forces, reports added.
Besides, the railway authorities in Kashmir also suspended the train services from Baramulla to Banihal here.
Officials said that the train services were suspended as a ‘security reason’.
Meanwhile, the mobile internet services in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district continued to remain suspended from Thursday morning while as in rest of the districts across the Valley, the speed was reduced to 2g.
The speed continued to remain reduced when the report was last filed.
A top police official said that barring some stray incidents of stone pelting, the situation across the Valley remained peaceful throughout the day. (KNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *