VoV Web Desk

After 3 SPOs Killed by Militants in Shopian, 4 More Resign

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

 Shopian-Three Special Police Officers (SPOs) were abducted and killed by militants in South Kashmir’s Shopian district on Friday, 21 September. A civilian, who was also abducted along with the three personnel, was set free. The abductions were made from the houses of the policemen in Kapran village.

Out of fear, four more SPOs have resigned on Friday after the incident, CNN-News18 reported.

The bodies were recovered from an orchard in Wangam area, more than a kilometre from the village the policemen were abducted from.

Police identified the dead as constable Nissar Ahmed and two special police officers – Firdous Ahmed and Kulwant Singh – from Kapren and Heepora areas of Shopian district.

A Twitter handle purportedly belonging to the Hizbul Mujahideen group has claimed responsibility for the abduction and killing, according to PTI.

A major search operation has started in Shopian after the bodies were found.

Police said the residents of Batagund village had chased the terrorists and urged them not to abduct the policemen, but the militants fired a few shots in the air and threatened the villagers. They said the terrorists crossed a river in the area and shot dead the policemen.

Nissar Ahmed was working with the armed police, Firdous Ahmed, who was under the process of being converted to constable, served in the Railways. Kulwant Singh was posted with Kulgam police.

These abductions and killings come nearly three weeks after terrorists had abducted and released relatives of policemen from various places in south Kashmir.

At least eight people whose relatives worked in Jammu and Kashmir Police were abducted on the night of 30 August.

Hizbul Mujahideen commander Riyaz Naikoo had purportedly claimed responsibility for the abductions in a 12-minute video, issuing a three-day deadline for the release of all the relatives of terrorists who were in police custody.

The 30 August abductions happened after the NIA arrested the second son of globally-wanted terrorist Syed Salahuddin, leader of the Hizbul Mujahideen group. Salahuddin’s son was arrested on charges of receiving secret funds.

(With inputs from PTI)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *