Pakistan cricket team security boosted after Manchester attack
BIRMINGHAM: Security for the Pakistan cricket team, which is currently in England for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy 2017, has been tightened following the deadly terrorist attack in Manchester.
The decision to boost the team’s security was made after a terrorist attack at a concert in Manchester claimed 22 lives and injured nearly 60 people on Monday.
“It is very tragic what happened in Manchester. Our minds and hearts go out to the families of the victims,” Pakistan team manager Talat Ali said.
Ali also stated that the Pakistan Cricket Board was in talks with the ICC to further step up the team’s security and move the players to the hotel where other teams were staying.
The ICC, in a statement on Tuesday, said it was reviewing the security measures for the Champions Trophy and Women’s World Cup this summer in the aftermath of the tragedy.
“We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels,” the statement read.
“The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe,” the ICC statement added.
At least 22 people, including some children, were killed and 59 wounded when a suicide bomber struck as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande at Manchester Arena late Monday night.
London, Birmingham and Cardiff are the three venues which will host the ICC Champions Trophy matches in England and Wales from June 1-18.
Pakistan will play their first match of the tournament against archrivals India at Edgbaston, Birmingham on June 4.
The team has been holding intensive practice and fitness drills at Edgbaston since arriving in England last week.